A phobia is an anxiety disorder characterized by extreme and irrational fear of simple things or social situations. A phobia can make life miserable, cause embarrassment, and undermine self confidence and self esteem.
Phobias are very common – up to 1 in 10 of us will be affected by a phobia at some point in our lives. All phobias have a root cause and phobic behaviour is there to serve a purpose – usually to protect us from some perceived danger.
Whilst almost any object, situation or place can be the subject of a phobia here are some of the most common:
• Aerophobia – fear of flying
• Acrophobia – fear of heights
• Agoraphobia – fear of open spaces / fear of panic attacks
• Arachnophobia – fear of spiders
• Brontophobia – fear of thunder
• Claustrophobia – fear of enclosed spaces
• Cynophobia – fear of dogs
• Globophobia – fear of balloons
• Glossophobia – fear of public speaking
• Emetophobia – fear of being sick
• Entomophobia – fear of insects
• Hydrophobia – fear of water
• Ichthyophobia – fear of fish
• Odontophobia / Dentophobia – fear of dentists
• Ophidiophobia – fear of snakes
• Ornithophobia – fear of birds
• Pyrophobia – fear of fire
• Spheksophobia – fear of wasps
• Trypanophobia – fear of needles / fear of injections
• Xenophobia – fear of strangers
Sunray Cognitive Hypnotherapy may be able to help. Please feel free to contact us to discuss your requirements.